Friday, June 20, 2014

A Recipe Review

I was in the mood to cook today.  Cooking here is generally not all that challenging since my people are not foodies, hate anything that was once a plant or has yellow cheese on it.  Yes... I'm a Hoover food vac in a house full of picky eaters.  So it's hard to find something we all can enjoy (read: that they all like and I can live with).   So I scoured the interwebs and found 2 recipes that I thought would be adaptable.  Sweet and Sour Chicken and Cauliflower Fried "Rice" (for me not them).
The S&S Chicken was supposed to be done in the Crockpot but I just made it on the stovetop due to lack of time.   I also left the vegetables out of the chicken dish since I'd have my veg in the "rice".  In a perfect world, both would have veg but I pick my battles ya know?  I also used fresh pineapple since it was on sale. The family verdict on the chicken (which they ate with white rice instead of cauliflower) was that it was very yummy.  4 out of 5 stars.  They even liked the flavor of the pineapple but none of them actually ingested any chunks of the aforementioned plant.   Easy.  I mean... how much easier can you get than throwing everything in a pan and cooking until done?   Value?  Very good.   I used Kroger brand S&S sauce and the pineapple and chicken were on sale.   I'll be adding this recipe to the rotation for when I'm craving Chinese!
The Cauliflower Fried "Rice" I made exactly as the recipe stated.  As the writer on the Laaloosh site said, I was was skeptical.  It was VERY GOOD though!   Did it taste like rice?  Not really but it was delicious and only tasted a wee bit like cauliflower which I love so it's all good.  It was spectacular under the chicken.  I indulged and had 2 servings of each and I am STUFFED.  It says to "grate" the cauliflower but I enjoy not having bloody nubs for fingers so I pulsed it in my Ninja.

No comments:

Post a Comment